Description: This course enables students to develop an understanding of mathematical concepts related to introductory algebra, proportional reasoning, and measurement and geometry through investigation, the effective use of technology, and hands-on activities. Students will investigate real-life examples to develop various representations of linear relations, and will determine the connections between the representations. They will also explore certain relationships that emerge from the measurement of three-dimensional figures and two-dimensional shapes. Students will consolidate their mathematical skills as they solve problems and communicate their thinking.
• demonstrate an understanding of the exponent rules of multiplication and division, and apply them to simplify expressions;
• manipulate numerical and polynomial expressions, and solve first-degree equations.
• apply data-management techniques to investigate relationships between two variables;
• demonstrate an understanding of the characteristics of a linear relation;
• connect various representations of a linear relation.
• determine the relationship between the form of an equation and the shape of its graph with respect to linearity and non-linearity;
• determine, through investigation, the properties of the slope and y-intercept of a linear relation;
• solve problems involving linear relations.
• determine, through investigation, the optimal values of various measurements;
• solve problems involving the measurements of two-dimensional shapes and the surface areas and volumes of three-dimensional figures;
• verify, through investigation facilitated by dynamic geometry software, geometric properties and relationships involving two-dimensional shapes, and apply the results to solving problems.
Resources: Principles of Mathematics 9 (Nelson) $75.95
|Learning Skills: The separate evaluation and reporting of the learning skills in the following five areas reflects their critical role in students’ achievement of the curriculum expectations. Students will be assessed continually on the following learning skills:|
|Works Independently||Teamwork||Organization||Work Habits/Homework||Initiative||Self-Regulation|
|accepts responsibility for completing tasks, follows instructions, completes assignments on time and with care, uses time effectively||works willingly and cooperatively with others, is sensitive to the needs of others, takes responsibility in sharing the work, shows respect for others ideas and opinions||organizes work, creates a plan to complete tasks, demonstrates ability to organize and manage information||puts forth consistent effort, completes homework on time and with care, uses time effectively, perseveres with complex tasks that require effort||responds to challenges and takes risks, seeks out opportunities for learning, identifies problems to solve, seeks additional information||sets own individual goals and monitors progress towards achieving them|
Assessment and Evaluation Policy
| Late, Missed or
contact the school for all absences)
· The student will be consulted regarding the reason
· Fraudulent work is of no value and provides zero evident of learning.
Extra Help: The staff of CW is committed to the success of all students. Students are strongly encouraged to seek extra help from the teacher both in and out of the classroom. The Green room is available after school Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Communication: Please feel free to contact me at the school ,613-824-4411, if you have any questions or concerns. My Voicemail extension is ________ and my email address is _______________________