Advanced Placement Courses
At Cairine Wilson,Students can take College Board Advanced Placement Courses. Advanced Placement programming offers an enriched academic curriculum for grade eleven and twelve students. Courses count not only towards an Ontario Secondary School graduation diploma but are accepted as first year university credits. The program provides academic challenge and a jump start on the student’s university career.
Benefits of Taking AP Courses:
* AP courses enhance student confidence and academic interest
* AP courses develop advanced skills that will ensure greater success in university
* Develop the study habits necessary for tackling rigorous course work
* Students gain the edge in university preparation
* Students stand out in university admissions process
* Students broaden their intellectual horizons
* Students have the opportunity to take at AP exam and possibly earn university credit while still in high school
Frequently asked questions
WHAT IS THE FORMAT OF THE EXAMS?
The exams are administered each spring in May according to the College Board guidelines. Most AP exams contain an essay or problem-solving section as well as a multiple choice section. Exams range from two to three hours in length.
WHAT DOES IT COST?
The fee for AP exams is set by the College Board. Participants pay a fee of approximately $75.00 that covers the cost of administrating and marking the AP exam and is payable to the College Board.
HOW ARE EXAMS GRADED?
The multiple-choice section of the exam is scored by computer. The free-response booklets are evaluated by faculty consultants comprised of selected professors and AP teachers. The AP grading system is based on an overall 5-point grading scale. [5-Extremely Well Qualified, 4 - Well Qualified, 3 - Qualified, 2 - Possibly Qualified, 1 - No recommendations]
WHO CREATES AP EXAMS?
AP course description and AP exams are prepared by the College Board Development Committees comprised of college and University faculty and experienced AP teachers from around the world. These committees are assisted by content experts from Educational Testing Services. Each year the Development Committees set specifications and develop new versions of the exams.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I KNOW?
AP can change your life. Through university-level AP courses,you enter a universe of knowledge that might otherwise remain unexplored in high school;through AP exams,you have the opportunity to earn credit or advanced standings at most of the nation’s universities.
SOME OF THE INSTITUTIONS THAT RECOGNIZE AP CREDITS
* Brock University * Carleton University * Concordia University * Dalhousie University * Lakehead University * Laurentian University * McGill University * McMaster University *
Mount Alison University * Nipissing University * Queen’s University * Ryerson University * Trent University* University of Guelph * University of Ottawa * University of Toronto *
University of Waterloo * University of Western Ontario * Wilfred Laurier University * York University *
For more information on advanced placement and for your child please contact
Cairine Wilson Secondary School at 613-824-4411,Tom Macartney (Principal,AP-Co-ordinator)